dirty yarn

i'm not sure if this is in the right thread (wasn't sure if it belonged in "crochet help" since it's not realy about crochet) but i found some yarn. it is old and very dusty but ultra soft and has the most luxurious color to it (ok not that pretty but better than what's in my stash) and i realy wanted to use it for a project but i want to clean it first and don't know how i would do that. if you have any ideas i'd love to hear (read?) them.

with love,

moi

Here is a little trick that seems to work well. If I know it is machine washable I put it in a lingerie bag and wash it on a gentle cycle. I have also used the same trick on hand washables using the bag. If I don’t know I usually put it in the bag and then in the dryer on a no heat setting to blow the dust out.

put the skein in the leg of a stocking, tie a knot at both ends so that the skein can't move. Then wash and dry it in the dryer.

If it were me, I would do what Mandys76 suggested for washing it but I would NOT put it in the dryer since you don't know what type of yarn it is. Just wash it on a gentle cycle in the stocking and let it air dry.

HTH!

thank you all VERY much. i did end up washing it in a stocking and it worked perfectly! i left it outside to dry (it was an extremely sunny day so i took advantage) it came out smelling very sweet and it ended up very soft and clean. thank you once again for the great advice!

with love,

Moi

Great ideas. I'm going to have to make a mental note of these since I try to buy my yarn at yard sales and thrift stores whenever possible.

Archived