Single Word Translation Tool-May Help w/ those Foreign Language Patterns

hookdonU

Question

This may be helpful to those of you who work with foreign language patterns.

Hmm, perhaps what finally wrests me away from Babelfish? Google has announced that its translation

service now offers single-word translations. Not like you've couldn't do that before, but the new

feature offers multiple word choices and even phrases.

You can do the word translations at http://translate.google.com/translate_dict?hl=en . Choose a

word and then a language pair (there are ten available on the English version of the page; a few are

in beta.) I choose richtig and the German-English translation.

Google translate gave me a total of fourteen different translation possibilities, from the

expected "right" and "real" to other translations like proper, and even related German words. Beneath

that there was a collection of phrases that use the word or similar words. Some of the phrases looked

like what you might see in a language learning book ("sie ist nicht die Richtige für ihn") while

some of them looked very odd indeed (my favorite was "im Urlaub hab ich so richtig Zeit zum

Schmökern", which apparently means "on holiday I have plenty of time to bury myself in a book." Must

be nice!)

More languages would be nice, but I love the amount of information a one-word query gets back and

I'm sure there'll be a Firefox extension for this any second now...

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived