advice: boucle yarn and 12 inch square

EllieBeth

Question

I'm wondering about making an afghan with a 12-inch square pattern using Bernat Harmony yarn, which is a thick, boucle-ish yarn. I'm currently making my daughter a plain, double crochet afghan with the Harmony yarn, but wonder if it's nubby-ness will make it too difficult to use with a slightly more complex pattern. Have any of you used a nubby-like yarn in a granny-style square, and did it work? Or was the thickness of the yarn just too difficult to use? (I'm still a new-ish crocheter, so sorry if this seems like a weird question...I've only made simple afghans so far, and I"m always a bit nervous when looking at a new pattern....)

FYI, this is the 12 in. square pattern I'm leaning toward: http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/BobbysSquare.asp )

And this is the Bernat Harmony Yarn:

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm ).

3 answers to this question

I'd say "no" to using that yarn for that afghan. I don't think the uniqueness of the square you've chosen will show up very well because the yarn is so thick. Also, if you follow the pattern for the square, it will end up being larger than 12 inches ... again, because of the thickness of the yarn.

Perhaps if you use that yarn for a more simple pattern, you could use the pattern you selected using standard worsted weight yarn. So you'd have one square with the boucle next to the square with worsted weight.

Am I making sense?

You'd have to use a smaller hook most likely if you decided to try the square you want and you'd be very frustrated in the inability to see where you have to place the hook.

Just my opinion. But that's a GREAT sale at Smiley's! If I weren't going to the Estes Park (Colorado) wool festival in a few weeks, I might even place an order. I need more yarn like a hole in the head, but you know how THAT goes!

Archived