Confusing pattern instructions

buttonme

Question

Hi,

I've just started to learn to crochet and I came across a pattern with the following instructions. Please take a look and tell what it is saying:

Row 1: Ch 7, 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across with 2sc in lst ch, turn (8).

Row 2: Working this row in back lps, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn

NOTE: Working these rows in back lps of last row and front lps of row before last, insert hook in back lp of next st and in front lp of st on row before last, complete as sc.

When front lps have fewer sts than current row, work 1st 2 sts and last 2 sts in same front lp.

When front lps have more sts than current row, insert hook in back lp of stitch and front lp of st on row before last, yo, draw up lp, insert hook in back lp of same stitch and front lp of next st on row before last, yo, draw up lp, complete as sc.

Row 3: Ch1, sc in each st across, turn.

I'm really confused about row 2. How many times do I need to rpt the step in the NOTE section??

5 answers to this question

Sorry if I give you more information than you needed. I can't tell if you need help with all the instructions, or just rows 2 and 3.

Row 1: Ch 7, 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across with 2sc in lst ch, turn (8).

THIS ROW MEANS: Chain 7, make 2 single crochet stitches in the second chain from your hook, single crochet in each remaining chain, with two single crochet stitches in the last chain, turn (you will have a total of 8 single crochet stitches).

Row 2: Working this row in back lps, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn

THIS ROW MEANS: When you look at the right side of your work, the row you've just completed, you'll notice that there are two loops for each single crochet: a top loop (also called back loop) and a bottom loop (also called front loop). Chain 1, single crochet in the back loop (top loop) only of each stitch across; turn.

NOTE: Working these rows in back lps of last row and front lps of row before last, insert hook in back lp of next st and in front lp of st on row before last, complete as sc.

When front lps have fewer sts than current row, work 1st 2 sts and last 2 sts in same front lp.

When front lps have more sts than current row, insert hook in back lp of stitch and front lp of st on row before last, yo, draw up lp, insert hook in back lp of same stitch and front lp of next st on row before last, yo, draw up lp, complete as sc.

WHAT THIS MEANS: On the next rows (3 and on), instead of working in just one single crochet stitch, you're going to pick up the back loop only in the next single crochet, then go down one row and pick up the front loop only of the stitch just below. Treat those two loops together as an sc: yarn over and pull through both those loops, leaving two loops on your hook. Yarn over again and pull through both loops.

As far as repeating, I can't see anything in the instructions for rows 1-3 that indicate you won't have an equal number of stitches on each and every row. I am assuming that on upcoming rows of the pattern you'll be increasing and decreasing on some rows, which is why they give you the information about how to compensate.

To me, it looks as if you're supposed to complete the rest of the pattern by crocheting into the back loop of the next stitch and the front loop of the stitch just below it, treating that together as one stitch. I can't be certain without seeing more instructions and a picture of what the finished item is supposed to look like.

Row 3: Ch1, sc in each st across, turn.

THIS ROW MEANS: Chain 1, single crochet (into back loop of stitch and front loop of stitch below) all the way across, turn.

I tried making this up, and it's making a pretty unique piece, like nothing I've ever done before.

Can you share with us what the pattern is? Is it from a book, or can it be found online? Now you have me curious about what this is!

Thanks a lot. This is a really old pattern for baby booties (its not online).

I took the pattern to my local yarn shop and the crochet expert there advised me that I should follow the instructions in the NOTE section only for rows 1 and 2 and then cont as normal for row 3? Anyhow, I'm going to try to start from scratch with your instructionst to see what happens. I'll post a pic of the finished item as soon as I complete it. I really appreciate your help.

Well, since the crochet expert at the LYS saw the entire pattern, her interpretation may be better than mine.

I usually see special notes in patterns coming BEFORE the rows in which you're to use them, so you'll know what to expect. (Yes, I have a horrible habit of just starting full steam without reading the whole pattern!) But given that this pattern was written so long ago, they may have followed a different convention.

I would be very interested to know how this ends up working out. I tried a test swatch based on these first 3 rows you posted, and it was quite a unique piece to say the least!

Oh, I'm so glad I was able to help! Post a picture if you can once you get them finished. I'd like to see how they turn out!

Archived