Best Book for Beginner Illustrations!

Selune

Now, I have a lot of pattern and stitch books. A lot!! I'm always searching for the best illustrations. So many of the books out there don't show all the threads of the stitches, so you can't really tell where to insert your hook. I was going through all my books again, trying to find really good illustrations for circles, and realized I had a super book right under my nose. It's The Harmony Guides 220 More Crochet Stitches (although I'm assuming they have the same illustrations in the original book as well). They show all the threads you are working with, clearly show where to insert the hook, amazing illustrations on working rows, the most clear instruction for picot stitch that I've ever seen, and fantastic illustrations for working in the round. The working in the round instructions are impressive. It clearly shows where to insert the hook to close your first chain, where to insert the hook when closing the circle, and where to place your first stitch of the next round. Check it out next time you are in the bookstore!!!

Hi Angela

I was just searching for books and came across this one...do u know any thing about the 300 crochtet stiches by Harmony guides?? They both sound quite extensive in information and illustrations? I like instructions with lots of pictures...sometimes I have to spend quite a bit of time studying the picture and then it finally clicks! as to what the directions mean...could someone recommend a book they found especially helpful...lots of illustrations??

I have both Harmony Guides for Crochet and they are probably the ones I love the most. Lots of ideas come to mind just looking thru them.

My daughter has the Crochet Encyclopedia (don't think that is the accurate name, sorry ) by Donna Kooler and she has found it to be very helpful (esp if Mom is too busy to help her when she gets stuck).

Kitty

The first Harmony one isn't as good with pictures as the second one. I don't have the crochet encyclopedia, since it wasn't really what I was looking for. I'm always trying to figure out EXACTLY where to stick the darned hook. It seems for some stitches, everyone has a different idea, and most illustrations just aren't very good at showing all the bits of yarn you need to see. I'm partial to the little illustrated arrows that show under and over threads. :)

I absolutely HATE those ones with actual photos. You can't tell anything from those.

:cheerSomething else that has helped me is finding the crochet tutorial videos...because as you say Angela knowing where to put the crochet "exactly" can be confusing. These videos actually "talk" you through step by step...which is quite helpful to me...and the other book you mention...200 more stitches is another one I want....

Archived