To Hem or Not to Hem? THAT is the question!!!

(Don'tcha love my catchy title?) :lol

Okay, here's the deal. Last year, when my PAternal grandmother came to visit, she brought with her a towel with towel topper that my MAternal grandmother had made her as a gift many many many MANY years ago. Funnily enough, the crocheted towel topper looked nearly brand-spankin'-new, but the towel was... well... let's just say that "threadbare" would be a compliment!;)

She wanted to know if I could do something like it, and although I've never actually done it before, after close inspection it really seems easy as pie.

So I finally managed to find some tea towels that I liked well enough to try with (been looking for MONTHS) and I'm planning on doing some towel toppers along with some other things to send to her as a birthday/mother's day package (mother's day is always right after her birthday, so I might as well do both at once).

The towel is big enough that I can cut it in half and get two matching towels out of it.

So the question is... when I DO cut it, should I hem? Or not hem? I'm wondering if the towel itself would start to unravel. Like I said above, I've never actually DONE it before, so I'm just totally ignorant on the subject.

TIA!!!:hook

Thank you, ladies! :flower

My grandmother still lives in the house my grandfather built back in Illinois, and this will be the first gift I've been able to send to her since we moved here, so the last thing I want is to spend all that time making her something only to have it fall apart the first time she tried to wash it!!! :eek

Having never actually done it before, I didn't know what I shoud do, which is why I asked here. I figured at least ONE of our resident "experts" would know the answer. :wink

Archived