How much more yarn do I need??

I am going to be making a bedspread for my niece's wedding and the pattern is only for a twin bed with the dimensions being 72 X 108. My niece has a queen so I need to make it wider going up to a 95. I am sure I'll be able to adjust the pattern but I don't have a clue how much more yarn to buy!

It calls for 3,840 yards of Terryspun by Lion Brand which isn't available anymore. I will use something comperable but just need some help with making sure I buy enough yarn of the same dye lot!

Thanks for you help!!!

My guess, and mind you this is an estimate, would be you need 33% more. Here's how I came to the number. You're keeping the one side the same, but the other is going from 72 to 95. If you take the difference (23) and divide it by 72 you get just under .333, or 33%. This is a standard % difference or error equation (yes, I'm a science geek at heart...). I'd probably figure out 35% and err one skein too many.... :shrug

Thanks so much!!!!! I am not that good at figuring things out so I never would have come to that conclusion! I will get out my handy dandy calculator and see how many more skeins 33% is. Thanks so so much!

Glad to be of assistance. I know it would work, more or less, in cooking and sewing, so I'm hoping it'll work with yarn too. (Of course, if gauge of yarn is different, it all goes out the window, because the same yardage will give you fewer or more stitches depending... I found that out the hard way.) Let me know how close I was to right?

Archived