Vintage thriftstore books

Tracey4610

A couple weeks ago, I went to visit my parents in my hometown, Newark, Ohio. My dad and I always go to the Goodwill out there every time dd and I visit. On our last trip, in the book section, I found these wonderful vintage 1970s books, called "Make It Yourself: the Complete Setp-by-Step Library of Needlework and Crafts." They were printed in a series by Columbia House, and range through the mid '70s. I think there are supposed to be a total of about 20 books, but there were only about 12 at the store. I bought 4 of them, since that was all the money I had at the time (they were $1.50/ea.). I have since gone through them, and inside each one are some WONDERFUL vintage patterns, not only in crochet, but knitting, sewing, beading, embroidery, and leatherwork. They talk about different crafting techniques I'd never heard of (granted, I was born in '77 :blush and that stuff was EEWWWW!!! when I was growing up!), but I've seen recent revivals of them. Hopefully, I can get more of them tomorrow when I visit again!! :dance

A couple weeks ago, I went to visit my parents in my hometown, Newark, Ohio. My dad and I always go to the Goodwill out there every time dd and I visit. On our last trip, in the book section, I found these wonderful vintage 1970s books, called "Make It Yourself: the Complete Setp-by-Step Library of Needlework and Crafts." They were printed in a series by Columbia House, and range through the mid '70s. I think there are supposed to be a total of about 20 books, but there were only about 12 at the store. I bought 4 of them, since that was all the money I had at the time (they were $1.50/ea.). I have since gone through them, and inside each one are some WONDERFUL vintage patterns, not only in crochet, but knitting, sewing, beading, embroidery, and leatherwork. They talk about different crafting techniques I'd never heard of (granted, I was born in '77 :blush and that stuff was EEWWWW!!! when I was growing up!), but I've seen recent revivals of them. Hopefully, I can get more of them tomorrow when I visit again!! :dance

That's a great find. I also found some books like that from the 70s and 80s. they are called "Stitch by Stitch: A step-by-step guide to successful sewing, knitting and crochet" published by Marshall Cavendish publication in weekly parts". I have about 10 of them. The patterns are great.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the complete set of these books as a 'hand me down' gift from my aunt about 15 years ago. They're an excellent (if sometimes kitschy) source of patterns and inspiration.

Archived