Dh and spinning wheel

yarnyviolet

Just before dh came home from overseas I bid for a spinning wheel on Ebay. It is a Kromski Mazurka in mahogany. I won it with a load of fibre for 60 pounds (on Ebay UK). It has arrived and dh has decided to take up spinning. One little piece was missing and it is on its way as we speak and the guy at Wingham Wool Works (where we ordered the piece from) in the UK recommended a book to dh that explains spinning in very basic terms. It is by Mabel Ross but dh isn't sure of the name of it. Dh can't wait. It is ok because my 10 kg (22 lb) of yarn showed up and I have so many things I want to crochet at the minute. We have about 2 lb of fibre at the minute so I think he will have enough to practice.

I think he will be good at it as he is an electronics technician. If he can fix tanks I am sure he can spin. He also has good hand-eye coordination from all those computer games.

Just think I will have custom yarn!

Rachel

Yes I know. He speaks way more german than me too (everyone speaks more german than me...) so when spring comes around maybe we can find someone who has fleece. We are posted in a month to a part of germany that is more rural. Otherwise I just oreder from Wingham Wool Works in the UK....they are really nice there.

Rachel

Ooooh I have some rovings from Wingham that were a RAOK gift... is there a website or something I can check out? Bc I adore this roving and want more, new, different ones *g*

*grins* nope I bet I don't speak more german than you rofl. I can count to three, say thank you, bye, you're welcome, and..... well that's probably about it. We've been here a year already.

If I'd have known a few months ago I was going to get into spinning I'd have talked to the guy who had his sheepies grazing on our big hill... ahh well, maybe next year.

The web address is winghamwoolwork.co.uk. I have been here over two years and had a baby in a german hospital and can count to ten, say hello, good morning, please, and goodbye....oh and have a nice weekend. I can get by in a restaurant but I usually end up pointing. I know that in germany they put the house number behind the street name so I can usually get home in a taxi ok. Sigh...I wish I was better at languages. I will be living here until 2007.

The part arrived for the wheel but dh says that he has to practice his treadling first before he tries actually spinning. I think I won't be able to stand it and will start before him.

Rachel

Yup, us too. Come Valentines day it'll be a year we've been here. Two more to go.

I could count to ten a few months ago, but not using it, I forgot all but one, two and three lol.

Guess that's one good thing about living on base *g* All the taxi drivers know the names of all four bases here in Stuttgart so as long as I can spit that out ;) I can get home rofl.

Thanks for the link! Going to have a look right now :spina

Archived