Vogue Knitting, Winter 2007

MindyJedi

As a knitter, I do read knitting magazines and I am always thrilled to see crochet used. It is usually just the edging on an ordinary sweater or something like that. But this issue is worth checking out!

Pattern #17 is a crocheted dress, designed by Michael Kors, that is adorable. I don't care for the color shown, but the styling is cute. My daughter, the only person I know thin enough to wear this, wants it in purple!

Pattern #18 shows a cute crocheted shell stitch skirt on a knitted bodice to make a romantic tank-top. This one is designed by Anna Sui. Not as cute as the dress, but still worth a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't you just love Vogue Knitting? :no They assume that everyone has a couple thousand bucks laying around for yarn, accesories, designer bags, etc. I like using thier patterns but substituting yarns to make them more affordable. :yes

For the Michael Kors dress, the pattern calls for sport weight yarn. I was going to try to make mine in Patons Grace. It's available at Michaels and not too expensive. You could use any sport weight yarn, even a self striping yarn like Lion Brand's Magic Stripes. Just do the math to get the right ammount of yardage, and make a pretty big swatch to make sure you like it! :)

I highly recommend Sinfonia by Omega that's almost twice as much mercerized cotton yarn for the same price...greater if you have a 40% off coupon that they send you in your email addy every other week (not this week, though)

Or two strands of #10 crochet thread should do the trick. I love doubling and tripling #10 thread!! It works in a pinch and I have loots of those in lots of colors!!

I can't wait to see the magazine, although I may just browse through it.

Yarndiva has got me thinking! I could work with two or three strands of different colored size 10 thread. That may be too cool. It would look marbled, maybe. I hafta-go! Gotta-swatch some!

Don't you just love Vogue Knitting? :no They assume that everyone has a couple thousand bucks laying around for yarn, accesories, designer bags, etc. I like using thier patterns but substituting yarns to make them more affordable. :yes

For the Michael Kors dress, the pattern calls for sport weight yarn. I was going to try to make mine in Patons Grace. It's available at Michaels and not too expensive. You could use any sport weight yarn, even a self striping yarn like Lion Brand's Magic Stripes. Just do the math to get the right ammount of yardage, and make a pretty big swatch to make sure you like it! :)

I had the same idea with Patons Grace. Luckily, I have it and I'll try to crochet the swatch for the dress.

Lion's Brand's colors I don't like--I even can't touch the sock that I started and finally realized it's because of color!

Archived