Have question regarding hooks & sizes & gauge

jenjenluvsdcs

Hello! I am new to the forum & crocheting... I have a pattern I would like to make that calls for a K hook w/ a certain gague... Well I have noticed I have problems usually with any pattern that has gauge to be measured & well, I usually have to go down 1-2 hook sizes... Well, on the new pattern I can't get gauge I am short by 1/2"... Do I need to go to a bigger hook than a K hook, and if so, what size is that? I only have up to K..... Thanks so much... I hope I posted this in the right spot!! :blush

If you are short then yes you need to go to a bigger hook. They have an N, P, Q. Also sometimes you can get a larger yarn and it will work also. You shouldn't worry overly if you cna't get gauge with the hook they say as we all crochet differently and have loose or tight stitches.

so I really wanted to try to hit the mark ya know... Usually I just kinda go on

If you are going to start doing clothes you are going to have to do those pain in the tail little gauge swatches. :)

I can't find l and m hooks here :( May also have to do with the fact that I use boye ones also. I don't think boye has those. And I just don't like bates as much as I have tired to.

I also couldn't find the L or M hooks at the Wal-Mart... I bought an N hook though... I get so frustrated with the gauge swatches.. But I am ready to start making clothes for toddlers & babies... So, guess I am going to have to buckle down and do them... Thank you all for the tips & help... Really appericate it... I did so many WIPS for Christmas I have lost the fizzle for 6 days now I have not picked up a hook.... I need to find the spunk again.. Hopefully after all these holidays I will get back into action~!!~:cheer

Archived