Duffle Bag

crochetgrl

Question

I posted in another thread that I wanted to do a duffle bag, but couldn't find a pattern. (Thank you to those who looked!:clap ) I was thinking about it this weekend, and I think I will just come up with something my self. I will most likely use the patterns like the crochet-on-the-go tote, diaper bags and anything else that I think of as a guide that will help me get what I want. I want it to fit the stuff I will need for my advanced swim course in the spring semester, which will be at least a suit, a towel, and maybe a cap and goggles. I also think that I am going to need a book for it (lifeguarding or some such). I want to be able to throw things like a pen or hair-tie, or my keys in there with out worrying about them falling out, but I don't want to put a liner in there. That means that I will need a tighter stitch and probably a smaller hook. I also think that I am going to do it double stranded to add strength and reduce the stretch. I don't think I want a zipper either, so I will probably make a longer flap for the top and have the closure be one button in the middle of the botton of the flao or two buttons- one on each side.... My questions are which kind of yarn do you think would do best? worsted, sport, 4 ply, 3 ply, thread...... How do you think the starps would be best done? Done seperately and attached, or just crocheted right from the bag itself? Also does anyone have any suggestions? Something I could do different than I what I have listed, or something I don't have listed? Any questions, comments or ideas would be great, even just to get me brainstorming more... :bounce Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Bethy,

You had posted this message twice, so I did a little cleaning up. If there's anything different between the two messages, let me know and I'll add it back in. :)

If you might take it to swimming, I would think about a worsted cotton yarn. It would be more absorbent and should hold up well if you need to wash it.

How about something like this

<a href="http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat240.html" target="_new">overnight bag</a>

or this

<a href="http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/ribbonbag.shtml" target="_new">ribbon drawstring bag</a>

If you wanted a flap instead of a drawstring, when you get to the top, crochet back & forth (instead of going all the way around) until you have a flap the size you like.

Hope this helps!

Holly

Archived