Tam or stroker hat pattern

Guest stitchinliz

Question

Guest stitchinliz

I have been asked by an older lady to try to recreate a winter hat for her. It is similar to a tam, and has a little bill with a piece of plastic inserted. There are two layers to the hat, the bottom layer is single crochet, the top layer is chains joined together making a diamond pattern that lays over the first layer. She told me the hat is at least 20 years old, and it is still in very good shape except that it is stretched out enough that it doesn't fit as well as it used to. I will try to get a friend to take a digital picture of the existing hat so you can see what I am talking about, I am not sure my description is good enough to explain what I am trying to convey.

Thanks for any help anyone can give to me.

2 answers to this question

Stitch~

I love Tams! My great-uncle had about 50 that his wife had made over their many years together. He recently died, and at his memorial they had his picture, and in front of it, his favorite tam.

That said, I did find this Tam with Rose pattern, although it doesn't have the bill that you are looking for.

After several more searches, I'm drawing a blank... Would it be possible to make your own pattern by studying her hat?

Archived