make your darlings a costume cal

supafreak

ok, i challenge all of you to make your children, grandchildre, nieces, and nephews, or just a special little one a halloween costume. Find a pattern, (and if you do, please share the link), or make one up as you go. Here is a picture of one I just finished to get you inspired. It is a monkey, and i used a felted angora sweater that i bought at a thrift shop and then cut into pieces to add the white tummy, and ears.

252363545_1a4c8976e7_m.jpg

252363546_7178a13fcb.jpg?v=0

I would LOVE to get motivated to do this! I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old who will want to trick or treat this year and the thought of paying $$$ for something they will probably wear once is not where I want to go. :( It would be neat to find something, even if it is just a top with a hat, or something that they might want to keep around and play dress-up in for the next few months. And it's not like I don't have tons of scrap yarn and a huge stash of forgotten project yarn that I couldn't use. :D

Only thing is I am not a "look at the picture and make it" type of girl. I can improvise a pattern, but I at least need a pattern to get me started in the right direction.

Any other takers on this CAL? Anyone have any patterns to share?

good for you. I'll tell you what i did. I found a basic pattern for a pullover sweater, made it a bit longer that the pattern called for, and then found a pattern for pants (candy babies by candi jensen) added a tail which i just did by crocheting in the round. I made a hat and added ears. I like the chunky wool i used because it's great at hiding mistakes! I'd love to find a pattern for a bananna.

that would be soooo cute. a long striped sweater, with black tights, and then either make ore buy some wings.....you'd have to put a stinger at the back bottom of the sweater which wouldn't be too hard, just crochet in the round, getting ever so slightly bigger, or smaller depending on which way you are going.......and a headband with antena........oh know i'm in trouble

Cool CAL! I've never joined in on one before. I've started a "Samurai Baby" costume for my nephew who will be 7mos in October. Hopefully my sister in law won't disown this crazy cat lady spinster aunt.

Mostly it will be a simplified helmet and a bib made to look like the neck/chestpiece. Having to wear more than that might just upset him. :P

That bib sounds so cute!!! :) I like that idea!!! :)

I was thinking about this, and you could make so many costuems this way...

Bee- Yellow and Black stripes

LadyBug Red & Black polka dots.

Turtle Green/Brown patches

Tiger Black Orange stripes

Zebra black/white stripes

It appears I am not going to be able to do this though, but thanks for the idea! : )

Archived