Pima cotton

Alosha

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely think you could do that. I can't see why the type of cotton would matter. Mercerized cottons take color the best but that's because of the process that makes it shinny breaks of the fibers so the dyes really bind with the fiber.

There's a great tutorial here that shows you how to hand paint cotton. I want to do this soon. They also sell lots of cotton yarn including pima cotton (called Monte Cristo) take a look here.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking it might be fun to dye the size 10 crochet thread I got as a mill end - I have way too much white and would like colors. The site linked here uses lots of different ingredients. I found another spot that just uses vinegar and the soda ash. What are the best methods??

I'm thinking it might be fun to dye the size 10 crochet thread I got as a mill end - I have way too much white and would like colors. The site linked here uses lots of different ingredients. I found another spot that just uses vinegar and the soda ash. What are the best methods??

I started out by buying one of the tye-dye kits that comes with everything needed for about $10 at Wal-Mart (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc). If you buy the primary color kit, you can mix the colors a bit to get some different colors. A little goes a long way! I would add water to the bottle after each hank I dyed, and it dyed about 5 or 6 350-yard hanks. I still ended up not using it all! Good luck and have fun!:cheer

Archived