lump(y) look of sweaters where sleeve joins shoulder

Is this the general nature of crochet sweaters? Or is it the pattern... I've seen it with both shoulder seam and drop sleeve sweaters. The sleeve appears large or heavy. I can't figure it out.

Example: Lion Brand free pattern---Big Easy. I like this pattern very much, but would want to address the above issue. Can anyone give me a clue? I'm clueless most of the time. :rollin

Margaret

Guest PamCrochets

Hi Margaret;

What type of yarn did you use? I noticed the same thing when I use the regular worsted weight acrylic yarn. When I use softer yarn that's a mixed fiber like Wool-Ease, Red Heart Essentials, or Micro-Spun that doesn't happen. But I also noticed to get the correct guage, I have to move up a couple of hook sizes. It could also be tension.

~Pam

Hi Pam,

I've never make a sweater...not yet. It's my long term goal. I'm new to crochet so I feel like a sponge...I'm soaking up lots of things everyday. I've been looking at pics. of crocheted sweaters and noticed the sleeve "problem". Your input makes sense to me...and I will think about each of your points.

Thanks, Margaret

Guest Annette

Some other ideas:

I think this can occur if the seam is a bit tight. And if you use a bulky yarn, you'll certainly have to tighten the seam, to hold up the weight.

I also think it's happening more easily if the stitches are loose.

Using a finer yarn will almost always make finishings easier.

Just a few thoughts... (Had never thought of the problem before)

Archived