Question about felting -knit vs crochet size

Mary Jane

I am doing a felted purse (for the first time) and have done a lot of research, but my question is still not clear. I believe that crochet items felt

differently than items that are knitted, but everything I have read is

still confusing to me. They say that if it's knitted, the height will

shrink more than the width, but if it's crocheted, I've seen some that

look like the width shrunk more than the height. Can someone help me

with this? I'm using Patons 100% wool (for felting) I'm using 2

strands of yarn together, and a size J hook. My UNfelted purse is 15"

(wide) X 17" tall. Does anyone know what the size will be after

felting this? If it won't be the size I want, then I will take out

some of the rows. I just thought I'd try to find out before it's

felted, so I won't make a big mistake. Thanks for your help!

Mary Jane

You know, the best way to tell what the final result will be before actually putting it through the wash is to do a test swatch. It doesn't have to be real big, just a 5"x5" swatch. Use the same stitch as your purse, same hook and same yarns (2 together). Measure it accurately before you throw it in the wash, then measure after. I took the % of shrinkage and applied it to my actual tote measurements to come up with the final dimensions. It really helps relieve that tension of not knowing what you'll end up with (and if all your hard work was wasted). I always do a test swatch.

I wanted to add here too that I do my swatches BEFORE I start my project, so I know what measurements to make the pre felted item.

It's been a while since I last felted a purse. I think it shrank more widthwise than heightwise. I believe knitted items shrink more heightwise.

Debbie

Thanks Kimberly and Debbie for your comments. I am using a hdc, and that's nice to know that yours felted pretty evenly. I know I should have done a test swatch first, but I was in a hurry and also thought the comments I read on the internet would help. It wasn't til after I started the purse that I found out that knitted projects felt more vertically and crochet projects felt more horzizontally. But if I can find someone who used the exact yarn I did (Patons-2 strands) the exact hook (J) and the exact stitch (hdc) I thought maybe this would give me an idea. I just don't want the shape to turn out really weird. It's not too late for me to take out some of the rows, so it won't be so tall. If anyone has used the exact things I did, that would help me a great deal. :) Thanks! Mary Jane

Archived