Total beginner question

MarvieN

Ok ya'll I am completely new to all of this stuff, so I may have a lot of questions lol but this is my first one.

I read in one of the posts here that you can rt click and view source to see how people have done their pages etc. and my question is... when I do that, it opens up a page in notepad with all the code and stuff... but there's a blinking curser in there... so is this page that opens ONLY on my computer? I don't want to accidentally scew something up if I forget which window I have open and start typing away (and yes I do that often lol) Like I said, I don't want to screw anything up...

Thanks,

Marvie (I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet so forgive me if I'm not to clear but I woke up with this on my mind)

I'm probably going to drive ya'll crazy :th with this, I'm really sorry, but I sure could use the help! :thinking2

How the heck do I add ya'll's buttons to my blog? I want to do it so that when someone clicks the button it opens up in a new window... if that's not to difficult to do that is....

Is there a tutorial I could read or something? :huh

Marvie

Edit : Never mind, :blush I went back in the posts and found exactly what I needed.... but I'm sure I'll have more questions before this is all over lol!!

I read in one of the posts here that you can rt click and view source to see how people have done their pages etc. and my question is... when I do that, it opens up a page in notepad with all the code and stuff... but there's a blinking curser in there... so is this page that opens ONLY on my computer? I don't want to accidentally scew something up if I forget which window I have open and start typing away
Yes, that notepad document is only on your computer. You can type away and save it and what ever you want and it won't change anything on the person's site. :))

Glad you figured out how to do the buttons. :thumbsup

Well I figured out how to do the LINKS, but I do have a ?? about the buttons... I'm guessing I need to rt click and save the button graphic to my computer, then upload it, then link to it? Once I know for sure I'll get busy adding them to my sites... I got myself a free website while I was at it, and I can upload files to that rather than depending on photobucket etc. I noticed there've been some issues with them recently so I (hopefully!) took the easy way out lol.

I added a link to crochetville, but something is wrong with it when I clicked it, got an error msg saying the board didn't exist. Grrrrr!

www.freehomepages.com/marvie/

I cheated and found a free template online to get me started, but I kinda like it so I will probably keep it.

Marvie

Hi Marvie,

The problem with your Crochetville link is the slash on the end...

This will work as the address: http://p084.ezboard.com/bcrochetville

But this won't: http://p084.ezboard.com/bcrochetville/

I'm guessing I need to rt click and save the button graphic to my computer, then upload it, then link to it?

Yep. And when you're linking an image, it's a good idea to put border="0" into the image tag so it doesn't show up with a colored border around it (the equivalent of an underlined link, but it looks messy on images).

Another good tutorial: Absolute Beginner's HTML

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks a bunch! This is a big help! I'll go fix the crochetville link right now. Glad it was something simple lol!

I have spent the last half hour or more tracking down all the buttons and urls so I can get them added, probably do that tonight as hubby is watching cartoon movies and I am not in the mood for them tonight!

Thanks again! You're an :angel !

Marvie

Archived