Baby Hat Length?

gretelgrrl

Question

Hello, I have been making some baby hats for the newborns in my life (4 all at once!!! it's a baby boom!) Anyway, none of them are close geographically to me (except for one that is intensive care for at least another month- preemie). As I can't see the babies, I am having trouble figuring out how long to make the hat. Most of the baby hat patterns I have found have given clear instruction on the crown of the hat, but as far as the length they say, "continue in rounds until the desired length is reached". :think

Does anyone know what the desired length is - maybe let's say for a baby 0-3mos?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

7 answers to this question

Bev's Country Cottage has a page with a lot of helpful info on making baby items. Here is a link to the page she has for hat sizes, baby measurements, foot sizes, and blanket sizes. Hats are listed first, and she does include a hat length measurement for various sizes!

I make preemie hats,booties and blankets for a preemie unit at a hospital in Georgia.

I make my hats for small preemies 4 1/2 inches long. For the preemies that are about big enough to go home and for the ones that are going home I try to make them 5 inches long.

Hope this helps.

Corky

Thank you :) I really appreciate it. It's amazing how tiny they are.

Thank you for your help! I'm sure the babies and moms will appreciate the cute hats - I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

I just wanted to add that when a mom of preemies get hats or blankets it is a wanderful think when you have a preemie it is the small thinks that can make you happy

i have to say that anyone who does anything for preemies i like them and it makes me want to give them a big hug :hug

so thank you for everything you do

Thank you :) I really appreciate it. It's amazing how tiny they are.

Thank you for your help! I'm sure the babies and moms will appreciate the cute hats - I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

Awww... thanks, April!

The baby and her mom are going through a lot... and it's nice to think that she'll have a snuggly hat and booties to keep her warm and cuddly.

It's really neat that Bev's site has so many great measurements and patterns. These hats work up really quickly! I am thinking of making some extras for the hospital.

It's great when something you do for fun/to unwind can help out a family.

Archived