Red Heart Symphony

fruffy21

Question

Hello! I was at Wal-Mart tonight getting some Wool-Ease to finish my cat blanket and I ran across the Red Heart Symphony yarns. I fell in love with it right away, and I think I'd like to make an afghan for my boyfriend's grandparents out of it. Keeping in mind that I am an extreme beginner, can anyone recommend a good light afghan pattern for a yarn like this? Also, it looks really thin-- are you supposed to crochet this kind of yarn with another strand of something heavier? And what size hook are you supposed to use?? I always have so many questions, but hopefully one day I can learn enough to actually contribute something around here, haha!

Thanks in advance.... :hook

3 answers to this question

I made a poncho out of Symphony when I was a beginner. It really is much warmer than it may appear and it feels wonderful. I have since made a shawl with symphony and funfur held together and that also is warm and feels great.

I think I used a J or K for the poncho and a Q when I held it with the funfur.

I think I even saw a pattern for an afghan out of Symphony, but I can't remember where. Let me look and I will get back to you on that.

Hello, a nice pattern is whatever you think is nice, however I like a simple shell pattern. I enjoy doing this particular pattern a lot.

Aligned Shells Afghan

However this is a nice pattern too.

Alternating V Shell Afghan #2

The yarn can be used with another or it can be used be itself. The size of hooks generally depends on the pattern and lacy look you want it to have. The lighter the yarn the more lacy it looks and the bigger the hook the more lacy it looks. You need to decide on the look you want and then that will make your choice of hook size easy.

Hope this helps.

Archived