Questions before I start

theworm

I have my bag all done and I'm eager to felt it NOW, but...

I keep reading and I have some questions.

I'm going to felt it in the washer. I will put it into a pillow case. I will put my sneakers in the washer as they need to be washed and they will help with aggitation.

Now - I've read different things:

- I need a spoon full of soap. Do I use liqued laundry detergent or liquid dish soap? I've read both.

- Some people seem to use just soap and hot water. Do I need vinigar and/or baking powder? If so, how much.

- some people let it run though spin - some don't - which is better?

As soon as I get this figured out - it's going in the washer. I know to check every 5 - 10 minutes and to block it when I'm done.

Thanks!

You've probably already figured this out as I've seen your finished bag (very nice job!), but I thought I'd tell you how I do mine.

First, I use liquid dish soap... about a tablespoon, then I add about 1/4 cup baking soda (which reminds me, I NEED to get more! I was planning on feliting my latest finished bag tomorrow... but I may have hit a snag now...:eek ). I wash in a zippered pillow case on the lowest setting (HOT) with a pair of old sneakers and a pair of jeans. I check often during the wash cycle for shrinkage. Once it gets to the size I want, I pull it out while I let the machine empty, and let it fill again with cold water. I personally DON'T let the bag go through the spin cycles. I worry too much about permanent creases. Once it's rinsed I pull it from the washer and gently squeeze the water out, shape, and allow to dry on towels. That's about it.

Debbie

Thank you, Debbie!

Yes I did go ahead and do it, but I really wasn't sure if I did it right.

I did pretty much what you said. About a spoon of dish soap and baking soda. I threw in some sneakers and some plastic toys. I put it in a zipper pillowcase, but it broke the zipper. I kept tying it up, but it was like Hoodini!

Anyway - I think it did turn out well, though next time I might felt it more.

I really appreciate your response as I read so many different ways and I wasn't sure. I really don't like the smell of vinigar, so I was glad to avoid that! :)

Archived