Where does it come from?

I'm seeing so many crocheted styles out there in stores and in fashion mags now and I wonder something.

I heard or read or perhaps made up the following fact: Crochet can't be done on a machine, it must be made by hand at every step of the way. (Will someone set me straight on this? Like I said, it's in my brain but I don't know how it got there)

This is kind of worrying, because if it's true that crochet is all hand-made, who is making these fabulous products? Aside from us when we copy the designs, of course. :D

I'm seeing so many crocheted styles out there in stores and in fashion mags now and I wonder something.

I heard or read or perhaps made up the following fact: Crochet can't be done on a machine, it must be made by hand at every step of the way. (Will someone set me straight on this? Like I said, it's in my brain but I don't know how it got there)

This is kind of worrying, because if it's true that crochet is all hand-made, who is making these fabulous products? Aside from us when we copy the designs, of course. :D

There was a discussion about whether or not there are machines that can crochet recently here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22163&page=1&pp=10&highlight=crochet+machine

I think a lot of the crochet fashions we see today are done in third world countries for miniscule wages.

Joan

Joan, thanks for the link to the other thread. Next time I'll do a little more digging before I post up a question :)

I'm concerned about the third-world unfair wage possibility too. I'll keep my eyes open for more information.

Thanks again!

Kathy

Archived