HELP!! "ch-1 Spaces"...can someone translate????

Pisces201

Question

Hello!

I am looking at a pattern (I'm fairly new to crochet) and I am not sure how to translate the wording to stiches. The pattern reads:

"Chain 46. Dc in sixth chain from hook (counts as first dc and ch-1 space), *ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch; rep from * across, turn---- 21 ch-1 spaces."

I understand everything except the ch-1 space thing. What exactly does that mean? Just that the chain represents a space? And the end part, does that mean that I will have 21 stiches and 21 spaces?

Any help would be appreciated!

BTW- I am looking at a pattern on page 178 in "The Happy Hooker- Stich and Bitch Crochet"

4 answers to this question

Hi Pisces 201, Welcome to Crochetville and to crochet! :welcome

At the end of a row, sometimes they sometimes tell how many stitches you should have in that row. It is good to count to ensure you are doing the pattern correctly. When you look at a crochet piece that has chain 1 stitches in between dc stitches, you'll see a space underneath every chain. This may give a nice textured or lacy look to the piece. Anyway, you were right- when they said 21 ch-1 spaces, they mean the space underneath the chain. So when you finish the row, you should have 21 spaces (underneath the ch 1).

HOWEVER, if I am not mistaken, you may have 22 dc stitches. This would include the 6 chains you used in the beginning as the first dc and ch 1 space.

I hope this didn't confuse you more! Good luck!:)

Yes, the chain represents a "space". Probably, in the next row, the pattern will tell you to do a stitch in that "space". If it says, for example, DC in ch-1 space, that means you will stitch around the yarn of the ch-1 space instead of inserting your hook in the chain itself. Hope that makes sense! And hope it helps!

Archived