Checkerboard Lace help

aleelee

Question

Todays Annie's Attic pattern is a beautiful checkerboard lace afghan. I wanted to make it as soon as I saw it. I am on the first row and am already stumped. :eek I was hoping someone could help me to understand the directions a bit better.

The instructions say: *[ch 3, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, ch 3, sk next ch]twice, double crochet in each of next 11 chs, rep from * across, turn.

Do I do two double crochets in each of the next 11 chains? I tried that and started getting a circle.:think

Or, do I do the whole set twice? But then why would I need to rep??? I am clueless and I really, really like this afghan.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

Here is the full pattern, but it is only available today.

I am so confused.....:think

8 answers to this question

The instructions say: *[ch 3, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, ch 3, sk next ch]twice, double crochet in each of next 11 chs, rep from * across, turn.

Do I do two double crochets in each of the next 11 chains? I tried that and started getting a circle.:think

Or, do I do the whole set twice? But then why would I need to rep??? /

That is cute. It almost looks like butterflies. You will do the part in []s two times, then you'll do one dc in each of the next 11chs. Then you'll repeat the part in red that you just did for the remainder of the row.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I am starting to understand. I was confused on exactly what it was I was suppose to do twice. I tried it the way you explained and I am beginning to see the checkerboard pattern. Thanks for your help. I may be back!;)

I'm using Caron one pund in soft sage. I bought the yarn a while ago and have been waiting for the perfect pattern to use it on. I saw this pattern and knew that this was the one for my sage afghan. This one is for me!:manyheart

Maybe this isn't the afghan for me. I am stuck again. In row number two, I have it until it says to work from behind last 3 dc made. I have tried various things and can't seem to get it right. I'm thinking I might need an easier pattern.:blush

Don't give up yet. :cheer Only 10 more rows after this one and then it all repeats.

Here's row 2:

Row 2 (RS): Ch 1, sc in each of first 12 dc, *[sk next ch-3 sp, 3 dc in next ch-3 sp, ch 3, working from behind last 3 dc made, 3 dc in sk ch-3 sp, sc in next dc] twice, sc in each of next 11 dc, rep from * across, working last sc in third ch of turning ch-3, turn.

So you've done the 12 scs, then you'll skip the first ch3 sp and do 3dcs in the next ch3sp. Then you ch 3 and will be going back to the skipped ch3sp. If it helps, you can push the 3dcs to the front so it's easier to work in the skipped ch3sp. Then there's a sc in the dc. It ends up looking kind of weird because the sets of 3dcs end up double thick, with one behind the other and a ch3 connecting the tops of them.

Hope that helps & I'm ready with the next row if you need me.:)

That is what I did, but it really, really looked wrong!:lol I figured I had to be doing something wrong. I feel better now that you say it is suppose to look odd. I am thinking row 3 will make it look better?I'm going to give it a go and at least finish the first set and see how it looks before I give up on it. I really think it is a neat pattern.

Thank you so much for sticking with me! You have been so incredibly helpful. I'm glad you studied up on row 3 because I'm sure I will be back again!:hook

:think I have had a look at this pattern and for the amount of work, there is not much return.

As soon as I see and instruction to break the yarn and rejoin at the other end of the row, I know I dont want to carry on.

:cheer I have worked out a variation which is easier but still has the lacy, checkerboard effect, and you dont have to break the yarn off after row 6.

I will do a bit more of it to make sure it works, then I will write it out if you would like me to.

Let me know.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived