In the Garden of Small Felted Things

Wombat

For those who might want to trim an 'out of square' thingy, or make small items such as keycases and aren't sure how big to make it to begin with, or make simple flower, or other shaped, motifs for decorations -

I've noticed on various sites which have free patterns for felting, that cutting an already felted piece is fine - the felting process makes a very dense fabric and it won't unravel. Never done it (although DD has found free instructions for a mobile phone case, and requested same) but would think that you would need very sharp scissors to get a good edge.

A rotary cutter works great for even edges through thick felted items. :hook

I was wondering if a rotary cutter would work... thanks for the info. Can you cut through in one pass?

Joan

It depends how thick it is from what yarn & stitch used before felting. Noro will cut in one easy pass, but Paton's and others that felt thicker take some muscle. For those, I use my quilting cutting board and 6x22" ruler and press down as much as I can on the ruler and go back & forth in short strokes with the rotary cutter along the ruler edge. It's comparable to cutting through several thicknesses of fabric. If you've ever cut hundreds of quilting squares, you know what I mean.:lol

Archived