Questions About Fran's U Shawl

corky264

Question

I have a friend that is in the nursing home.She is only 52 and has Parkinson's.And I want to make her something to brighten her life a little. She is a extra large. what I need to know is would starting with 44 chain be big enough and do you increase in every one of the middle stitches.

This was what I found in the replies.

(The increases in the shawl are only made in the back, on the middle half of them. That is, I chained 44, hdc in 11, increased evenly on the middle 22 and worked even on the last 11. Of course, the numbers change each time there is an increase. It doesn't show very well in the pic but there are 2 triangular panels in the front that increase from 1 to the equal number stitches of the rows of the back. That's basically the pattern.)

Any help would be appreciated..

Corky

2 answers to this question

I think I started with the first row even, with no increases. Then increased about 3 times evenly within the center 22 sts. Increase as needed to keep a nice U shape that lays flat. It will drape when worn. Some rows will need to be worked even. The back stitches will the the only ones that are increased and the number of stitches in the back will change each time you increase. You won't be increasing across 22 after the first time. Keep the two edges (sides) the same amount of stitches. Wouldn't you know--I mailed the shawl to someone yesterday so I don't have it for a reference.

Archived