Where do you find corrections ????

goodie2shoes

Question

I am working a pattern for a Womens Car coat sweater I have done it according to the schematics and written directions, but have come to a point that if I do what the pattern says in the written directions, it comes out wrong.

for the sleeve length it says 12 sc when I am sure it has to be 12 inches of work, I have tried it both ways 12 sc only amounts to about 3 inches, and this is along sleeved garment with only a small cuff of 2 inches to add,

I understand the construction and the diagram is very clear the written directions aren't.

It is from a booklet from Better Homes and Gardens

Learn to Crochet 2006 It is the Ribbed Car Coat if anyone has the pattern,

or knows where I can find information. I have googled it etc and gone to the Better Homes and Gardens website, still no luck, can't even find the publication.

So what do you do when the written and the schematics don't match.

I am following the shematics so far that looks right.

10 answers to this question

Anytime I buy a new book I go to Google and type (in quotation marks) the name of the book, space, the plus sign, space, and the work corrections. I just recently got the Stitchionary. It looked like this: "Stitchionary" + corrections

So far, I've been lucky and the corrections come right up.

I'm sorry. Maybe you could contact the publisher (Sterling) and ask them: http://www.sterlingpub.com/book/CategoryBookDisplay.asp?BookKey=1357494

Thanks for your all your help, I do appreciate you trying, the link isn't the same book I have..this one says Better Homes and Gardens, Learn to Crochet 2006 subtitled "the ultimate beginners guide" I believe Meredith is the publisher but so far haven't tried that route, thanks now I will try the publisher hadn't thought of it I was trying to find the book itself listed somewhere, anywhere.

I just found this thread on these forums I will post there and maybe someone has tried it , pic of cover below.

covershot8nz.jpg

:think Have you read the whole instruction for adding the sleeves?

:think Do you add on 12 SC once or more than once?

:cheer Sometimes the sleeve stitches are added gradually so you get a bit of room under the arm.

This may be your answer.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Colleen.:hug

:think Have you read the whole instruction for adding the sleeves?

:think Do you add on 12 SC once or more than once?

:cheer Sometimes the sleeve stitches are added gradually so you get a bit of room under the arm.

This may be your answer.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Colleen.:hug

Yep Several times

maybe I am reading it wrong, arggh now I get an entirely different read out of it ..............ok I will try it again a different way, lets see this is try 3 boy I think I am dense sometimes!!!!!

I've got this same booklet and I don't think it's you. So far I made the little jacket in Homespun and the sleeves came out all wonky. Then I tried the green and yellow sweater that they show in microspun and it came out so bad that I frogged it after I was more than half done. What shoud've been the largest kid size almost fit me. I've been really disappointed with the patterns. Really bought it for the car coat, but sounds like I won't be trying it now.

Well so far so good I was missing the idea of the increase in the sleeves I have done all the increases and so far so good I am into the work evenly for 5 1/2 inches part.

If the decreases work as well it will work. I did have to read and re-read that part several times and with some assistance from Collens' suggestion the light bulb finally came on.

It is working but the way the written part is worded, makes it difficult to understand what they mean.

So far so good. Thank you all!

I still just can't believe I can't find any reference to this publication on the web

Is the little green and yellow sweater one you refer to the childs one that is shown with daisy buttons?? I was looking at that one haven't read it thru yet though

That is the sweater I was talking about. In all fairness, I'm terrible and never check gage. I normally don't have a problem, but this pattern just did not work for me. The homespun sweater I referred to, the sleeves just didn't "look" right to me. The directions are really cruddy in general in this book. Any true beginner would get frustrated and give up. A lady I work with borrowed it to make the granny square purse. Unbelievably she had never done a granny and she's been crocheting for years! The directions got her all messed up too, but I was able to get her back on track.

I did finish the sweater pics in the Blog even though I didn't use the Bulky yarn it is still

quite ummmmmmmmm fluffy! Not flattering on a fluffy grandma, plus I felt like the arms were soooooooo stiff I told my husband I felt like the Michelin Man, he was very diplomatic, but I will watch myself and not fall in love with a pattern that says BULKY, not for me anyway. OH well it wa a good learning experience. And yes I think some of the instructions are written, well lets just say it takes quite a bit of figuring out!

I don't consider myself a beginner but jeeeeeeeeeese louiseeeeeeeeeee.

Archived