Yarn substitution and other questions

espap

Question

Hi all, has anybody crocheted this privacy wrap from crochet me?

http://www.crochetme.com/Apr_May_2005/patt_privacy_wrap.html

I want to crochet it, but I am lost as to the yarn. The pattern asks for 16oz yarn, that's around 500grs, but doesn't say the yardage. That's problem one.

Second, it asks for sport weight yarn. Hmm... there are many names for yarns, what are the other names for sport weight? Aran? DK? oh, I am so confused.

It asks fro 100% silk chenille? I have found 100% cotton chenille. That will do?

Can I use just cotton or other yarn?

The hook size is 7mm. So do I have to look for yarns that crochet with 7mm hooks? No, because she is using a bigger than recommended hook. So what's the recommended so I can find a suitable yarn?

See why I am confused?

Please share your wisdom!

Esther

4 answers to this question

Yarn that is classified as sport weight is slightly thinner than DK... check out this chart to compare it to other weights.

A nice place to buy chenille is on ebay, however, often it will be in cone form and not labeled as sport, fingering, worsted, etc... Yarns like this are often given a yards per pound weight measurement. You'll want to look for something in about the 1200-1400ypp area for something's that sport weight.

100% cotton chenille is very soft and I think it would make a wonderful privacy wrap, but keep it mind it will not dye like silk. So, if you're planning to Kool-Aid dye your shawl like the one shown at CrochetMe, you'll need to use silk or another protein fiber.

Using a bigger hook than you normally would is common with chenille, because it leaves more space for the yarn to expand and become full and fluffy. Of course, you don't *have* to use chenille, either, just keep in mind that different yarn textures are going to change the look of your finished wrap.

HTH! That shawl pattern is beautiful, I can't wait to see your FO! :hook

Natalie, you are fountain of wisdom! Thank you, thank you!

So do you think this will do?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8261453294&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

I asked the lady and she said that it knits on 3.25mm. 3.25 to 7mm sounds a big leap!

She also has a DK chenille that knits on 4mm:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500g-CHENILLE-DOUBLE-KNITTING-YARN-WOOL-OFF-WHITE_W0QQitemZ8259590785QQcategoryZ48765QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So what's best you reckon?

Thank you very very very much,

Esther

You're very welcome!! I think if it were me, I would go with the thinner of the two, which is the 4 ply, if I'm not mistaken. I think the DK will be a little thicker than the recommended yarn.

Now, if you wanted to use the DK, you could... If you use the 7mm hook called for, you will end up with a thicker, tighter woven fabric. Or, you could go up to an 8mm hook and have a wrap that is still light and lacy, just slightly larger in dimension.

ETA: I forgot to add that if a yarn is recommended to be knit on one size needles, it will generally look better crocheted with a bigger hook size. Usually, manufacturer's just recommmend the hook size that matches the mm size of the knitting needles that work best with their yarn, and don't make a separate gauge measure for crochet. So, although that yarn is recommended to be knit at 3.25, you might use a 4mm to crochet with it anyways.

So, that's accounts for some of why the hook size seems such a big jump, the rest has to do with the way chenille fulls out, like I said ealier.

Archived