Bette Davis in "The Letter"

hudelei

I just caught most of "The Letter" just now on television, and I don't think I've ever seen crocheting figure so prominently in a movie plot! It's Singapore in 1940 and Bette Davis is a woman who was cheating on her husband and then shoots her lover. She then spins this elaborate story about how he had attacked her and she had only been defending herself. When she packs up her things to take with her to tell her story to the Attorney General and see if they will charge her with murder, etc., she takes along a project bag with a few thread motifs she has been working on. But then we see her crocheting several times, particularly when she is trying to take her mind off other things, and people keep commenting on her work, and this project (she says its a coverlet for the bed) keeps turning up in shot after shot. You actually get to see Bette Davis crocheting with thread several times (ok, the last time we see her doing it, she is agitated and it looked like she was mostly just stabbing her fingers, but in earlier scenes, it looks to me like she is actually crocheting).

If you're into old movies or if you're a threadie, it's worth seeing. I thought it was a great movie (I was supposed to be doing something else, and ending up sitting there and watching the whole movie). You can read more about the plot here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032701/

• 3 weeks later...

I love old movies, particularly Bette Davis movies. "Dead Ringer" is my fav. I wish I had TCM - They always had old, old movies, but now we don't have satellite. Wahhhh :cry

Archived