Help with bead crochet please

Beulah

Question

I am teaching myself to bead crochet. The book I am using is "Learn to Bead Crochet" by Nancy Nehring. I am attempting to make the child's poncho. The starting instructions are: 'String 36" of beads onto yarn...... When beads run out, break yarn and add 36" more of beads, tie ends of yarn tog and continue. ' Does this mean that I will have 2 strings of beads, each 36" long, and I have to tie them together? This doesn't make any sense to me, why would you break the yarn, do the 2nd string and then tie them together, the first set of beads won't slide over the knot to be worked into the poncho. Am I missing something here? I'd appreciate any help with this, thanks.

3 answers to this question

You're right - it doesn't make sense the way you're interpreting it.

Here's what you do - put 36" of beads on your yarn and start crocheting. When you've worked off all the beads, cut the yarn (like you were changing colors or if you just ran out of yarn on a skein), put another 36" of beads on the yarn. Then join it and keep on working.

The reason they don't want you to put all the beads on the yarn is that it would create an awful lot of friction to pull the yarn through all those beads - and it seems to me that more than 3 feet of beads between you and the skein or spool would be rather unmanageable.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

i have only done a "few" things with beads but I believe their intention is to not make handling the item and crocheting easier, everything I have done so far has been............... string the beads, then crochet bringing up a bead as told to in the instructions.

36" beads is probably going to be alot, so twice that at a time is why they have you putting only 36" at a time, then more beads on after the pattern has been worked with the first 36,

and I have to tie them together?[/Quote]

no you will not be technically tying them together,

you will work your first 36" beads in as the pattern says, then break or cut the thread you had been working with, and join the new yarn or thread with the second set of 36" of beads strung on it.

This is because working with 72" beads at a time is likely to really tangle and become unmanagable. Much easier to string 36" work them in pattern, then join new thread with another 36" and work them in pattern. I hope this makes sense

When beads run out, break yarn [/Quote].............then there should be a comma or semicolon. then join new thread with 36" more of beads. Really the yarn or thread does tend to twist, and become really messy, joining, is really a better solution

bwahaha think we were answering at the same time.

Archived