Stacy top in Cool Crochet

Hi gang, I am putting this in "other" because I don't need help...yet, but I am interested in any comments you all may have.

I have been torturing myself with the Stacy sweater in Cool Crochet. The stitch pattern is one row sc, one row dc and call for a heavy worsted cotton yarn and a 4mm hook. Soooooo I tried to achieve guage with TLC Cotton Plus and I was big, tried a 3.75 mm hook and still was big but not by much so I started it, measuring all the way. Before long I knew it wasn't going to work and frogged. So, I tried again by chaining fewer stitches...that came close but still I wasn't happy with the way it was coming out, frogged again.

Because I am stubborn I am determined to make this top! Last night I opened a new ball of TLC Cotton Plus, went back to the 4mm hook but changed the stitch pattern to hdc blo, flo and it is spot on! The gauge is PERFECT and it is looking great!

I guess I am wondering why the change is so drastic by such a simple change:think

Anyway, I love the texture of the hdc blo/flo much better than the rows of sc and dc.

BTW, I am also working on the Penina jacket in that book and even though it is a more difficult pattern it is going great!

My guess would be that it is so different because hdcs are sorta "in between" on size to sc and dcs... and then you are staggering them, too, with the FLO and BLO method. I am curious what everyone else has to say about this, though. And good for you for making it work! I have this book, and now I will approach that pattern with a bit of care!

Stacy Cool Crochet Book has some really cool projects in it...my daughter wants me to do the Coral Halter top with the beads at the bottom...a little nervous about it...so for now I just keep eyeing it....what exactly is hdc blo/flo ...the first part I know is half double crochet but the rest.....and I am sure you will do a great job on the sweater...specificallywhich one is the soft purple one or the yellow one.:c9

Flo/blo is alternating working in back loop for one stitch and front loop for the next so you need to work on an odd number of stitches. The "Stacy" is the off the shoulder raglan style top in reddish color.

I wouldn't be so anal about the exactness but the top is so closely shaped through the body and the "off the shoulder" could literally fall off your shoulders if not sized really well.

That halter is gorgeous! I may do it but it depends how good my biceps/triceps and delts look this summer:lol

I had the exact same problem with this top and other patterns in the book. My gauge was always bigger. I never thought of actually changing to a different stitch pattern for Stacy. Now I'm gonna try this one again! Thanks!:cheer

I had the exact same problem with this top and other patterns in the book. My gauge was always bigger. I never thought of actually changing to a different stitch pattern for Stacy. Now I'm gonna try this one again! Thanks!:cheer

Great! We can update each other:) on progress

Archived