"Cool Crochet" Guages

Luvmyrott'nboy

Question

Hi everyone. I am making the raglan, wide shoulder top from Cool Crochet. I am also attempting the Pennina Jacket.

With both, I could not achieve guage, I kept coming out bigger. I am not using the same exact yarn but the weights are the same...I went down to a 3.75 MM hook, crocheted so tightly I couldn't see the stitches hardly and still come out considerably larger.:think

The top is an easy one, I just chained fewer stitches and it is coming out great! I have figured out how many fewer for Pennina too but THAT was hard as the stitch pattern is complicated (for me).

Has anyone else had this guage problem?

2 answers to this question

Yes!! I made that same top and I could not get the gauge as small as the pattern said. I tried swatching several other patterns and my gauge was huge compared to the book's. Even after changing hook sizes. I bought the book month's ago and haven't completed a pattern because of the gauge problem.

Yes!! I made that same top and I could not get the gauge as small as the pattern said. I tried swatching several other patterns and my gauge was huge compared to the book's. Even after changing hook sizes. I bought the book month's ago and haven't completed a pattern because of the gauge problem.

For the top I chained 8 fewer stitches for the front and back. I think I may chain 2 fewer for the sleeves. It is working out much, much better as the vertical measurement we can control by row.

For the Pennina I plan to chain 86 as opposed to 110 as the vertical measurement on that is controlled by row too.

Very aggravating! The patterns are awesome but what a pain!

Archived