Problem with pattern for baby blanket

lrguyer

Question

Alright, I am having some issues....

I am making a blanket that consists of 30 squares crocheted individually and then pieced together. The pattern for the squares reads like this:

Ch 33. 1 dc in 4th ch from hook. 1 dc in each ch to end of ch. 31 dc. Ch 3. Turn. 2nd row: Miss first dc. 1 dc in each dc to end of row. Ch 3. Turn. Rep last row 12 times more omitting turning ch at end of last row (14 rows total).

The pattern can be found here:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=20300

However, when I "finished" the first square it was more of a rectangle than a square. I checked my gauge at the beginning so I know that the length of the first chain is right. But I did 14 rows like it calls for and it is about half as tall as it should be.....Can I just keep adding rows until it measures right? Or did I crochet too tight? Please help! This is my first time working with a pattern and I'm really frustrated!!!

Thanks!

Lisa :)

2 answers to this question

It's been posted elsewhere on the forum here that your gauge can often be thrown off heightwise because your dc stitches aren't tall enough. A good tip, if I'm recalling it correctly, is to pull that first loop you draw through the next stitch up to the height of your working row before completing the stitch, in order to make your dc stitches the right height. If you don't want to frog and redo the square, you should be able to add more rows to make it square, it shouldn't make a difference to the pattern. Or, you can frog and redo it - but either way, you will want to do all the squares the same, to maintain consistency over the course of the project.

HTH!

Archived