Help me figure out how to do this...

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, my dad is disabled and pretty much lives in his lift chair. He loves to read, play on the computer and watch TV. Problem is that his little table is always cluttered with his books, remote controls and other little things. If he drops something, he has to have someone pick it up for him.

So I decided to make something for his chair that would hold all his little things. I'm thinking it'll kinda be like a bag with pockets and something that will hang off the side of the chair (the arm). My main problem is trying to figure out how you would attach it to the chair, but at the same time, keep it removeable for cleaning if needed.

Any help or assistance would be great! My step-mom said that this would be an awesome thing for him and that he can really use it. I pretty much have the design figured out in my head, it's just this last little thing that has me stumped!

THANKS!

6 answers to this question

Is the chair kind of like a lazy boy recliner style with the lift underneath? My grandpa had one of those and my grandma made a chair caddy for him. She made the piece that faces the cushion really long and we wriggled it under the seat cushion as far as we could get it. The cushion wasn't a separate piece, but the sides weren't attached to the arms of the chair.

My Grandfather has a lift chair too. What about a wide (2") band of velcro attached to each side? You could then cinch that around the underside of the arm of the chair. If necessary, make an additional "belt loop" at the bottom of the "carry-all" and thread it through there to help hold it snug against the chair when the chair is in the "upright/lifted" position. Also, a little flap could help keep "things" from sliding out when the chair is lifted too? Just some ideas!

Katie:cat

Ok, well this is a lift chair. It looks like a regular recliner but the entire thing lifts up so that the person sitting it in is able to get up easier.

I am not sure about wrapping a strap all the way around the side of the chair. Considering that everytime the chair rises or goes down it has the possibility of getting snagged or something.

I'm wondering if maybe I could stitch in a piece of elastic around the top of the thing if it would fit snugly around the arm of the chair?

If I were there I could look at it more closely but I'm in Florida and my dad is in Michigan.

Ok, well this is a lift chair. It looks like a regular recliner but the entire thing lifts up so that the person sitting it in is able to get up easier.

That's the kind I was thinking of & I think that's why the cushion on my gpa's didn't come off, because of the lift underneath. It was sort of like this one. If you can't figure out something for the chair, does his table have a spot you could attach a caddy to?

I found this. It says it's made for a lift chair. The top picture shows the straps that keep it on. It looks like it would stay out of the way of the lift since it would be snug to the sides of the chair. However, it would only work if the chair's design will allow you to reach along the inside wall of the arm.

I found this. It says it's made for a lift chair. The top picture shows the straps that keep it on. It looks like it would stay out of the way of the lift since it would be snug to the sides of the chair. However, it would only work if the chair's design will allow you to reach along the inside wall of the arm.

Hmmm, interesting. I will have to call my mom and have her take a look at the chair and see if something like this will work... Thanks so much for the help!!!

Archived