Harlequin Stitch from Crochet Stitch Bible - HELP!

Alice

Question

I am currently trying in vain to figure out how to do the harlequin stitch from the Crochet Stitch Bible (page 196). I got the first row done but am stuck on the second one. It looks like I need to crochet 6 stitches originating somehow from one single stitch... I don't know what to do!

The part I don't understand reads: "3 DC in top of 3 dc tog, *1 SC in 1 ch sp between dcs 1 row below"

It looks to me like the stitches are all stitched individually into the ones below, but when I do that, I don't come out with a downward-facing half-moon shape as in the pattern.

Does anyone have any tips, or even a picture where I can see close up what it looks like? I can't tell from the picture in the book.

4 answers to this question

Ok I tried the Harliquin stitch and this is what I think it means to do on row 3.

In the top of the Dc tog on row 2, you make 6 single DC but all in the top of the dc tog. That will give you the 6 individual stitches like a shell.

Then you sc into the sc on row1. That will "catch" the 7 chains of row 2.

Another way of saying it is make a shell of 6 DC into the top of the 6 dc tog of row 2.

Does that help any?

Barbara,

Thank you so much for taking the time to try this out. You were right, I didn't really know how to do 3dctog and 6dctog. I thought at first it was just an abbreviation for doing 6 dc in one single stitch. But after doing a little more research, I found out I should do 6 dc's only partially, and save the last yo and pull-through for all 6 together to form one stitch at the top. Thank you so much! I will post a picture when I've finished- I'm trying to make a baby bunting.

Alice

Archived