How do I crochet an oblong?

hapahaolegirl

Question

1 answer to this question

The way I do it, is I make a starting chain, then sc into the second chain from the hook and each one to the end, then, do 3-5 sc in the end chain. Turn the chain over (so you can work the opposite side of the chain), and do the same number of sc along that end and repeat the same number of sc into the turning chain. You can then sl st into your first sc or just continue working in continuous rounds. If you want more of a curve on the sides, then I would work 1 or more hdc into the chain in the middle (for more of an oval).

The other way if you want to start with a circle, would be to work hdc, dc, hdc at equal distances around the circle, to create the long ends.

You can change the type of stitches that you work into the ends to get a longer oblong (oval). I just worked some oblongs for pupils (like for eyes) and I worked sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc into each end, because I needed it to be much longer than wide, then I did another round in sc. You do not want to continue doing the longer stitches on every round, establish the shape and then work in your normal stitch.

Archived