Towel topper help please

Why why why do you cut the towel in half. And does that mean cut off the top half or the side half, and why. If you cut the length side then one would have unfinished edge, again why. I have read many many patterns and all say cut towel in half, but never say where and why. I am so confussed. Friend wants me to make some for her, and I have never made one. Please explain to this dummie exactly what one does. Patterns are out there, just no answer to the cutting questions. :eek

I've never made one, but I've seen them. You're supposed to cut it in half lengthwise. I think that's so you can get two towels out of one, but I agree with the above poster, the double thickness is nicer! Just fold it in half and start the topper along the folded edge.

Note: I've read on here where some ppl use their sewing machine to make evenly spaced holes in towels, washclothes, etc. It sounds like an easy way to start a towel topper too. Hope this helps!!

One reason why I cut the towel in half is so the towel will lay right when I sew it one. I make ones that look like dresses. To make the gather lay right with the crochet dress part...you only use half. I'll post a picture today of mine. I have to take a picture of it.

My mom, my aunt and both of my grandmothers have always cut the towels. As for the regular towel toppers, I remember one grandmother saying that it was easier to attach the yarn to the towel. Also, good towels are expensive and cutting them made them go farther. My mom also said that she didn't always need the towel so thick just to use quickly.

As for how to cut....if it's a two sided print, you lay the towel out and cut down the middle of the towel. towelcutting.jpg

You all came through fast for me, as usual, but what do u mean using sewing machine to make the holes. Apparently there is many ways, for this to be done, guess it all depends on the towel. Again thanks for the quick response., I just bought one (towel that only has the design at bottom, so cutting off the top will have to be down, this is one reallllly long towel. Thanks again

Did you buy a regular bath towel? I've only have experience with dish towels.

The machine sew part is using the machine to make the holes for you without thread. I've seen my mom do this before. She just runs the fabric through without thread to make the holes in the fabric. Then she can crochet it.

I've never seen a bath towel topper done before. How interesting!! I would think it would be hard to cut and arrange since they are thicker.

My Grandmother in law used to edge the bottom of a full hand towel or bath towel, but she used steel hooks to crochet through the towel.

Well bugger, it ate my reply.

Ok I don't cut my towels either, but instead fold them in 3rds length ways, then in half.. using the whole towel, pin them so they stay even in the back and with a metal yarn needle, do not cut a length of yarn but pull enough yarn to go all the way across the towel in blanket stitches. Keep the stitches about 1/4 inch or 1/3 inch apart and when u get to the end just fasten off. Going back to the original thread that is between the towel and the skein of yarn, yarn over and start your crochet stitches using the loops of the blanket stitch to attach your initial crochet row and then complete the towel topper as usual.

I've tried punching holes, I've tried all different ways and this for me works the best.. it's amazingly fast yet leaves a thick nice towel to use in the kitchen and no raw edges :)

Archived