Wool Yarn

Tonya

Question

I have a question about wool yarns. I am wanting to make a sweater for my b/f and it has to be washable. What kinds of wool are able to do this? Please help I am so confused.

5 answers to this question

I don't know if there is any type of yarn that I can give you a name for that is washable. (I very rarely get to work in wool. ) But, I do know that if you read the lables, it will tell you right there that it is washable. Also, try asking the people at your LYS for help. They should know their stock and be able to point you in the right direction.

Most of the knitters i talk to recommend Cascade SuperWash. its high quality wool that you can wash in cold water. However, it can get expensive, especially if you are making an entire sweater out of it.

you might want to try Knitpicks as they have a good selection of reasonably priced wool blends. The thing i like about knitpicks is that they have washing instructions on each page for each type of yarn.

If anything, try woolease, since it is usually readily available at your local craft store. woolease is like 20-50% wool, i believe, so you have the safety of acrylic when you wash it.

Archived