Learn to Crochet Socks Help

omibunnydotcom

Question

I am using the book "Learn to Crochet Socks" by American School of NeedleWork.

I have a question:

I just started on the Basic Sock in worsted weight yarn, but instead of using Red Heart Soft (I couldn't find any) i am using MicroSpun by LionBrand.

Can someone that is familiar with both yarns tell me if there's gonna be a difference between the two? I see that the Red heart is 90 gms 210 yards, and that the LionBrand is 168 yds and 70 gms. Does that make a difference?

Are my socks gonna end up smaller than the project, or bigger? I'm currently working on the cuff, and it looks like its gonna be a rather THICK sock.

Should i have picked out a different yarn to start this project?

Thanks for any advice ya'll can give.

-Omi

3 answers to this question

Can someone that is familiar with both yarns tell me if there's gonna be a difference between the two? I see that the Red heart is 90 gms 210 yards, and that the LionBrand is 168 yds and 70 gms. Does that make a difference?

Are my socks gonna end up smaller than the project, or bigger? I'm currently working on the cuff, and it looks like its gonna be a rather THICK sock.

Should i have picked out a different yarn to start this project?

Thanks for any advice ya'll can give.

-Omi

I did the math, and Red Heart comes out to 2.333333 yards per gram and Lion Brand comes out to 2.4 yards per gram. As far as I know, Microspun is not worsted weight but sport weight, so your socks may come out smaller, depending on how your gauge compares to the pattern's gauge. Did they give you a gauge? Worsted weight's going to give you a thick sock anyway. If you are looking for a thin sock, I suggest the pattern http://www.crochetme.com/in-your-shoes-ankle-socks.

The microspun seems to be really bulky, like i'm gonna have really thick socks. I'm totally cool with that, as their gonna be my first pair.

I checked out the pattern you linked for me, and i like WAY BETTER than the one i'm reading from. The one you provided, i can almost understand, which is more than i can say about the one i've got. So thanks, i think im gonna start using this pattern instead! :hook

Archived