two recent 'sightings'

Well, not really sightings, but references to crochet in a classic movie and a book. I was watching "June Bride" with Bette Davis last night (I had taped it the other day). Her character is the high-powered editor of a magazine called Home Life, and she's teamed with her ex boyfriend (played by Robert Montgomery) to go arrange and cover a June wedding that is really going to take place in the middle of winter (sounds like the grandmother of all those reality decorating shows--they repaint and strip and remove the Victorian architectual embellishments and at one point even saw a sofa in half). Anyway, the two are bickering on a plane flight to Indiana, and the hardbitten political reporter stuck with this terrible new job, played by Montgomery, says to his new boss: "You're really getting folksy, aren't you? Next thing I know, you'll be crocheting, or putting up pickled cucumber pits." She told him to "Stop sneering in that superior way of yours at all the important things in life." Yup, that's that I'd say crochet is, one of the important things in life.

And I'm currently reading a book published in England maybe 20 or more years ago called "Return to Thrush Green" by Miss Read, and on page 186 there are two references to the crochet work that one of a trio of sisters was working on. She rolled up her crochet work in "an exquisite silk scarf" when she was interrupted by a caller. Hmm, a silk scarf or Tampa Doll's ingenious crocheting box? I think the box for me. :P Patty

Archived