Help with beginning of rows

Rosemary

Question

I know that I read this somewhere, but I have searched again and can't find the thread.

My problem is this: I believe that when you are single crocheting and you start your new rows, you crochet right into the turning chain. With a double, you do not stitch into the turning chain, but go to the next stitch. My question is, what do you do with a half-double crochet at the beginning of each row, where do you put the first stitch?

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me.

6 answers to this question

I know that I read this somewhere, but I have searched again and can't find the thread.

My problem is this: I believe that when you are single crocheting and you start your new rows, you crochet right into the turning chain. With a double, you do not stitch into the turning chain, but go to the next stitch. My question is, what do you do with a half-double crochet at the beginning of each row, where do you put the first stitch?

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me.

The general rule of thumb is place your first stitch into the same stitch as your turning chain and ignore the turning chain at the end with sc. (The turning chain does not count toward your stitch count) With dc, skip the stitch your turning chain is in and stitch into the turning chain at the end. (Turning chain counts as one stitch)

With hdc, you can use either method depending on the instructions and the finished look you are desiring. I generally skip the beginning stitch and work into the turning chain at the end with hdc, but will change sometimes if I want a tighter edge.

I have the "Learn to crochet in just one day" and you need to go into the 3rd chain from the hook other than the 4th which is dc. Working like dc, the turning chain does count as as a stitch(unless your pattern specifies different) Skip the first hdc of the previous row and work a hdc in the 2nd stitch. Hope this works, Donna, N.TX

For DC, I tend to use a ch 2 as a turning chain (instead of ch3) and then DC in the same stitch and totally ignore the turning chains. I find it comes out cleaner this way - and easier to count.

For HDC, likewise, ch1 and hdc in same stitch, ignoring the chain.

You can do it either way with the same results, it just depends on your own taste.

Thanks so much! I wound up crocheting into the first stitch and ignoring the turning chain. I am making a wool, Irish Fisherman's style coat for my son's greyhound. When the dog comes over this week, I hope to have a photo and post it in the appropriate thread.

you are all so great to answer my question. It is nice knowing there are folks who care and will help out when I get stuck.

Archived