Half-Double Tunisian?

hooknlace

Question

Hi,

There's a story behind this, but I'll ask the question first....

is anyone familiar with a Tunisian Half Double stitch? I can't find it in any of my books or online. :think

The story....

I was in a yarn store today, and someone called with some questions about (apparently) tapestry crochet. When the lady that worked in the shop hung up, I mention that I had done it and gave her my name & number in case the person that called wanted to contact me. When she called, it turned out the question was about Tunisian crochet - which I've done only a couple of times, a long time ago. This question has me stumped, because it seems like the Tunisian Double is what I would do to make a Half Double. I kind of think I'm missing something!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

hooknlace

6 answers to this question

The problem is with Tunisian that there are so many names for one stitch depending on what pattern or book you are reading. I would presume she means a half double crochet as in normal crochet done as Tunisian. Which you can do easily but other than look up the 101 Tunisian crochet stitch book or something similar unless she can tell you what she wants it for or shows you a picture your guess is as good as mine. Goodluck.

Well i found it in some old photocopies i had and it is a half double crochet stitch done as Tunisian. So you do it as normal except you keep one loop on the hook from each stitch you make and then you do your cast off row as you would with Tunisian stitch. Hope that helps.

hi, i'm the one who's looking for the Tunisian Half Double Crochet stitch.

first, if you would like to see the pattern, please go here:

http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=20

then look at the Cobweb Scarf.

second, a Double Crochet stitch and a Half Double Crochet stitch both start the same way, i think (yarn over, insert hook, yarn over, pull loop through so that you have 3 loops on the hook). it's what you do NOW that makes the difference.

however, if what you do NOW is "do it as normal except you keep one loop on the hook from each stitch you make" then there's no difference between a Tunisian Double Crochet stitch and a Tunisian Half Double Crochet stitch. so why would the same stitch have 2 different names?

thank you in advance,

totally confused

p.s. i INVENTED a stitch to work in the pattern, because i had to ship the Cobweb Scarf off for xmas. here's what i did: wrapped TWICE before i inserted and did yarn over, that way i could pull through THREE loops instead of two, and still finish the stitch off with the cast off row. seemed to accomplish the goal, which is to make a stitch halfway between single and double in terms of height.

Yep thats exactly what i would have told you to do. Note the only difference between Tunisian and Double ended crochet is that you can cast on one color and cast off in another because you turn the hook around and use the hook at the other end.Also you can use stitches you would use in ordinary crochet as well, some translate to the Double ended better than others. I didn't have access to any stitch or pattern books so had to figure a lot out on my own. I would recommend if you can get hold of any stitch books get them as it makes it easier, the library is a good source. But experiment and you will suprise yourself. ENJOY!

:hug thanks jacqui !

i've done a half-dozen or so double-ended projects, so i'm pretty familiar with the basics (and hence with tunisian, which as you point out, gives you one less ball to juggle -- color change).

i did try stitch books first, but couldnt find one that had anything useful to say about this particular stitch. the second Harmony Guide (crochet) refers to the stitch but says something spectacularly unhelpful.

if anybody else has a stitch guide that covers Tunisian Half Double Crochet stitch, please feel free to jump in ! that scarf has been mailed off, and i'm now experimenting with hairpin lace, but would still love to know the answer.

Archived