What is Fillet crochet?

Filet crochet is where you create a picture in you work. I actually posted a pic just a few hours ago of an afghan I did with Cherubs on it. The pattern is read in a graph, with solid squares representing 4 double crochets (the last dc is counted as the first dc of the next squre). and open squares in the graph represents dc, ch2, dc.

I only have done filet in regular yarn and done afghans. Most often it is done in crochet cotton and a steel hook to create doilies and more delicate pieces. However, any hook under a G frightens me... so I'll stick to the afghans!:lol

Ok. That's not filet. if you do a search on here for "graph" there is a very good post about reading graph patterns. I tried one years ago, and got very frustrated after a very short period of time and threw it out. However, the explanations given here, have motivated me, and after the holidays I"m planning an Elmo graph afghan for my daughter.

Working from a graph, there isn't going to be written instructions for each line. You can work in sc or hdc. I'd explain further, but since I"m a complete novice, I'd probably screw it up. I also am not sure how to link you to the old post, so unfortunately, you'll have to do a search.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!:(

Archived