which came first the knot or the hook?

Did anyone see the article in NY Times Arts & Leisure section Sunday Sept 25, 2005 ?

the title was Making the Desert Bloom Out West. Way Out West

The article is now archived and you have to pay for it but it is about the minimalist conceptual artist Andrea Zittel. The article mentioned that as part of a quest for simplicity she taught herself to crochet without a hook. She designed "handstranded" uniforms as part of her current work.

Here is some other stuff about her:

http://www.bombsite.com/zittel/zittel.html

http://finearts.usc.edu/news/detail.cfm?id=200

Here's the link to her website but unfortunately she does not yet have images of her handstranded uniforms:

http://www.zittel.org/index.html

Her ideas/work are interesting and provocative.

:think Crochet was around before the hook and people originally crocheted without tools and it was an advancement when they saw that they could use wood or bone or whatever material tool they came up with.

But really, aren't crochet hooks elegant and minimal, in and of themselves?

But really, aren't crochet hooks elegant and minimal, in and of themselves?

Sure they are! But you know what's more minimal? A bent finger. I could totally see how you could do that. It could be really hard on the finger, though, and I'd only try it with a bulky yarn, since my finger is as big around as my N-hook, at least - probably bigger, but I can't compare at the moment.

Interesting, though.

Thanks for the link! Strangely enough, I think I went to high school with her!

That's so funny - did she have similar tendencies as a teen?

I checked out your blog and see that you have kids (your DD is so sweet in her little shrug and headband - mine saw it and wants them now too) so you'll appreciate this - The article I read about Andrea Z in the NY Times said that she has a toddler.

Minimalism with a toddler - now THAT's difficult. I'm sure she shields her eyes from the Disney princesses and all the plastic toys made in china (if ever the child sets foot in a store)

Sure they are! But you know what's more minimal? A bent finger. I could totally see how you could do that. It could be really hard on the finger, though, and I'd only try it with a bulky yarn, since my finger is as big around as my N-hook, at least - probably bigger, but I can't compare at the moment.

Interesting, though.

Yes, well I think that is exactly what this artist is doing, making fabric with a bent finger. She makes these "uniforms" for group hikes as performance. I wish she had some images of the results on her website.

I've been wanting to try some "huge hook" crochet but hadn't seriously considered using my finger

Archived