Felted bag - question

enmac

I finally tried felting something more ambitious than a sample square. I crocheted a bag on the weekend and last night dropped it in the washing machine. I had a good idea from my test square how much it would shrink, but I was still amazed by the final product. It's so thick and sturdy, I'm just so impressed. Hopefully pictures to follow soon.

The one thing I'm not happy with is the handles. They are crocheted as part of the bag, 3 rows of hdc, which worked quite well, but they are too long and a bit wonky. I'm thinking of cutting them in half and reattaching so they are overlapping, if that is at all clear without a picture.

Anyway my question is, do you think it would be OK to cut the straps? I'm assuming because of the felting it won't unravel at the cut edges. Any hints on the best way to sew together two felted pieces? Thanks!

Guest SamplerLady
I'm assuming because of the felting it won't unravel at the cut edges. Any hints on the best way to sew together two felted pieces?

You shouldn't have any problem with cutting, over lapping and sewing down. I'd only make sure there was a good row of stitching at the cut ends just in case. Sounds like a really good way to solve the problem. :bigsmile

I'd recommend stitching the cut pieces together with the same wool yarn you used to make the bag, then hand felting the join. That way it will not only be less noticeable, it will also be very strong. You should be able to pick up felting needles at your LYS.

Guest mishakitty78

Kim's suggestion about hand felting the handles and using the same yarn is excellent! If you are unable to do that, though, you should still be fine with just chopping them and reattaching. I've never cut handles before, but the squares of felt I've chopped have worked well. No fraying or bizarre unravelling at all.

If you're worried about any fraying, you could apply a bit of fray-check (available at most craft/sewing stores) I would think - that would probably take care of it. To sew them, I often use either same color yarn or embroidery thread, which is also extremely durable (and available in lots of colors to match). I've found it's easier to "hide" in the piece.

Good luck, and I'd love to see pics too!

Melissa

Guest SamplerLady

Felting needles have hooks and barbs on them. You insert and remove, insert and remove repeatedly. The barbs catch on the scales on the fiber and hopelssly tangle them up, making felt. If you google, you'll find pics of the needles as well as lots of instructions on how to do it. It's fun, but the needles are very sharp and do hurt when you fail to pay attention and try to felt a finger. :bigsmile

Archived