Can someone measure a TODDLER for me?

luckygrrl

Question

Okay, now that fruggs has so graciously measured her baby for me, now I suddenly discovered I need someone to measure a TODDLER!! :lol Their head, that is. :D I just edited the title of my original thread so as not to clog up the forum with all these measuring questions. Hope no one minds!

I'm making a hat and have gotten to the end of the pattern, and it's clearly WAY too short. I already know I crochet kind of tight, but I think my stitches must be considerably shorter than this person's, too. I'm making a simple beanie style in the round that should come down to cover his ears, with a little rolled brim.

Is there anyone who has a toddler (I'm making this for a 3-year-old), who also has a beanie style hat that could measure it for me?? I basically thing what I need to know is if the hat is folded in half, laying flat, how long is it from the top center of the hat to the center of the last row (i.e. the height of the hat)-- if the hat has a brim, then to the center of the row where the brim starts to roll up. If the hat doesn't cover the ears of your toddler, how long would it need to be TO cover their ears? It's mightly cold in northern Illinois, so I want to make sure this hat will cover his ears. :) Right now I'm only at 4 1/2" from the center top to center of the last row I've done.

Thanks!!

------------------------------------------------------------

original post:

This is probably one of the silliest requests for help, but I'm serious! I need someone to measure a baby! :lol

I'm making a poncho for my boyfriend's sister's new baby-- 12 pounds, 3 ounces, can you believe it?!! (Yes, it was a C-section!) The baby is 22 inches long. She's a cute chubby little thing!

I'm making a pattern that's for 12 months to 18 months (now that I got past the problem I initially posted about, thanks to those who helped!), but I'm altering it a bit... possibly not adding a hood, and not making the poncho as long, and maybe adding a tie or something. But I don't have any babies hanging around to test this thing out on as I go along. :D So I'm wondering.... could someone who has a baby handy (preferably one that's at least 13 or 14 pounds-- I imagine she'll be growing between now and Christmas when I see her first in person) and at least 22 inches tell me whether or not a poncho that's approximately 6 1/2" long (from neck to bottom of poncho) be long enough for a baby? I'm not worried about width, it's done in back loops only and is quite stretchy, but I want to make sure that once it goes over her shoulders, it's not too short. Here's a (crappy, sorry) pic of it for visual reference if you need it, it's at about 6 inches:

josephineponcho.jpg

My boyfriend keeps saying, "but honey, she's a BIG BABY!" when he sees how small this poncho looks. When I was able to stretch the neckline of the poncho partially over my head to prove that even I could get it over my head if I tried, I think he relented a bit. :D

Anyway, thanks in advance for any baby help! I just want to make sure that I'm making it long enough. I could make it longer, but since she's a bigger baby, and I think it'll fit her much sooner than 12 months, I don't want it to be so long that she'd be swimming in it!

7 answers to this question

ill measure mine hold on, she was 13.9 lbs at her dr visit in oct so she is possible the right size..be right back

k she is about 24 to 25 inches long, she is wiggling, and the 6 and 1/2 inches goes to her belly button, just above her diaper line.

Id say it should fit fine, and just for your info her head is 17 inches around

have fun!

My daughter is two but since no one else has replied, I thought I would. ;)

Her hat folds up.

It is 8 1/2 inches without the fold and can be worn that way but would be too long for her.

It is 6 inches with the fold.

I made it last a year ago and it still fits her. I would add another inch if I were to make it today.

For a three year old I would add maybe two inches making it 8 with the fold.

Keep in mind my daughter is a little bit smaller than average.

I hope that helps. :)

Archived