Judging yardage needed on a pattern

Charlene Conlon

Question

I don't know if anyone else is familiar with Ms Sunflower's patterns--she offers them on Ebay, and they're lovely. She's even duplicated a couple of sweaters by Anthropologie so you can make your own version. The problem is that she doesn't know how much you would need in terms of yards.

I asked her how much I would need, because her patterns usually call for '400 grams of sport-weight yarn, preferably rayon boucle' or something similar. She says she uses yarn from a cone and weighs the cone before and after. The problem is that even in the same weight yarn, the physical weight of the yarn can differ markedly.

I mentioned in another post that I made a sweater out of Knitpicks' worsted Wool of the Andes, rather than Goddess Yarns 50/50 cotton wool, also worsted. A 50 gram skein of the Goddess Yarn measured 81 yards per skein, whilke the Wool of the Andes yarn was 110 yards for the same weight, 50 grams.

So what do I do if I don't want to wind up with far too much yarn or wind up having to buy more and have it not be the same dye lot? I don't know of any company that makes no-dye lot wool yarn of good quality.

2 answers to this question

Archived