felting experts - ???

RebeccaVelasquez

Guest SamplerLady

Congratulations on your first spinning. :clap I was digging around for an afghan hook yesterday and came across my first attempts! Ah well....yes....thick and thin.... :ohdear

Yes, those first attempts do felt wonderfully, eaven themselves out some and look rather....professional when finished! I won a ribbon at the county fair for a bag I dyed the wool (Kool Aide), spun, and crocheted, and felted.

It's been way too hot this summer to spin but once the temp evens out (or goes from the high 90s back down to livable 70s or 80s, I'm going to dust off my spinning wheel and fight with my cat. He's never seen me spin so it could be quite an experiece for both of us.... or one of us will be locked in the bedroom! :))

i love the look of the thick-thin.... i've read that once you actually learn what you're doing, it's very hard to get the "novelty" look :frog

think i'll stay a novice :lol

i have spinning lessons with my drop spindle again next week and will be traveling the last week of september to learn on a wheel i'm SOOO excited!:yay2

Guest SamplerLady

My spindle yarn has never been very good, but it didn't take too long for me to come up with some respectable wheel yarn. What kind of wheel are you going to learn on? I have a

Louet S15. I chose it because it was small and inexpensive. I tried an Ashford but just didn't work for me. :))

i'm not sure. the lady i am going to has 4 or 5 that she is going to let me use to see which works best for me. i've heard the majacraft are nice....

i rather like my spindle, though. i'm having a hard time trying to draft & spin at the same time - which is what results in the thick/thin of my yarn. if i pre-draft then it all turns out even and great. still too thick for plying... but i kinda like it that way. it really shows the sheen of the yarn. anyhow, i ordered 3 pounds of roving called peacock swirl off ebay. it should be in within a day or so. hopefully, this will be enough yarn to make something with?! can you imagine how long it will take to spin :wha

peacock.jpg

i also have 15 pounds of raw wool that i am in process of getting washed - i'm terrified of felting it! so far i have 5 pounds done, with no felting - 10 to go... now i have to get some cards and all the other equipment needed to learn to make rovings - why oh why do i get SO involved :huh

anyhow.... you spin much? maybe we could start a thread on OT?

:read

Guest SamplerLady

Wow! that was fast! I'm not feeling too well this morning, but will see what we can do to make that forum interesting to lots of people.

Rebecca, that roving will spin up beautifully. Trust me. I can only "park and draft" when using a spindle to get more consistent yarn. No matter what anyone tells you, what ever method you use to get yarn you like, it's the right method. Don't get caught up in the "you have to do it this way" or "that's 'cheating'" scenarios. However it creates the yarn you want is the right way to do it. :))

Archived