?Fulling and Felting

crazzy cow

I am new to this what exactly is Fulling and Felting I am lost..

I have seen pictures of Felting be would like to make a few things..Can anyone help me understand how to do Fulling and Felting..

Thanks a bunch

Becky

Guest SamplerLady

If you read through all the posts in this forum (Hit the show all messages link at the top of the page) you'll get a good idea of what it's all about and how to do it. If you have more questions after that, we'll be happy to help you out.

Basically, it's using heat, agitation, and a change in the pH of animal fibers (generally wool) to mat together, reducing the over all length and width of the item and making it a more dense fabric that has more air trapped in it (making it warmer) and is denser and more water resistant..

If you throw your mom's brand new wool sweater in the washer and dryer and it comes out the right size for your little sister's Barbie doll, you've succeed in fulling the sweater. Felting is the same thing, basically and is done to wool before it's made into a fabric. :))

would I be able to use 100% acrylic yarn.That is the only kind of yarn that I have at the time... If it works I will get some wool yarn.When I change in the pH of the yarn should I add vinegar to it. Lastly can I use any kind of pattern that I would like to Felt..:bounce

Becky

Guest SamplerLady

Fulling and felting will only work with animal fibers such as wool, alpaca, etc. Acrylic is spun plastic and plastic doesn't have the scales on the shaft of the fiber to open, grab, and mesh with each other and therefore doesn't full or felt. So in order to experiment, you'll will need wool :sheep (NOT superwash) yarn. Merino wool will felt the most.

Yes, soap or vinegar will change the pH in wool and provide one of the three necessary items in the fulling/felting process.

You can use any pattern you like to full. Tips are: use a hook larger than you normally would and crochet loosely. The idea is to take a large loose fabric and full it down to a small tight fabric. Slippers that are ready to be fulled generally look like they would fit the sasquatch. ;) A good first project is to loosely crochet a square about 12 inches on each side with a large loop on one corner. Put it through the fulling process to make a nice, relatively fireproof potholder or hot pad. Wool doesn't catch on fire, just smolders and goes out. So if one accidently gets too close to the heat source, one doesn't have to worry about it melting (as acrylic can) or catching and burning (as cotton can). :))

Archived