Hat Help

CarolL

Question

I need help,:think I can't make a hat. I have tried a lion brand pattern that I would love to make. I tried yesterday several times and they all came out looking like bells in the first 5 or 6 rounds, they weren't getting any bigger. They looked like a hat that might fit on my cat. Any help would greatly be appreciated. :confused

Well I think i put this post in the wrong place. I meant it to go in the crochet help forum not the stitch help. I'm sorry for the mixup

5 answers to this question

Thank you so very much for the link. I saw several on there that I want to give a shot. My daughter has to walk about a half a mile to school in the morning and then again in the afternoon. :wangel It gets really cold in the morning especially :wbrr I made her a scarf last night and would like to make her a hat. I really want to make one of the thick looking ribbed hats but that might take a bit for me to learn. I have to tell you she made my day today. She left me a note before she left for school thanking me for crocheting her that scarf. I really felt apprecieated, a rare thing with teenagers.

Thanks again,

:cheer

That's so sweet that she did that. It's good that she appreciates what you do for her. If you want a really easy hat with no increasing, you can do this:

Chain as many as you need to get the length from crown to forehead plus a folded "brim" if you want. I usually add an extra two or three inches so it's not too tight at the crown.

Then sc, hdc or dc - whatever you want - across the chain.

Continue in the same stitch for the same number of stitches, working in the back loops of each row for as many rows as it takes to go around your head. (You will have made a rectangle.)

Whipstitch or sl st the last row to the beginning chain. Now you have a tube.

Weave a piece of yarn through the row edges on one end of the tube. Pull the yarn tight, make a knot or two, weave the ends in, and you have a stretchy ribbed hat!

I know there's a "professionally-written" pattern for this somewhere on the web. I don't know if my directions made sense, so I'll check for it.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_crochet/article/0,1789,HGTV_3260_1369232,00.html

You can click on the picture for a close-up.

Archived